Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vacation Summary Winners

This year in our class we are using more internet tools.  One of these tools is Blogger.  After the students write their assignments I will choose a few to highlight by posting them on this blog. This is entirely their work, written and edited by them.

The following are selections from students at Liceo Taller San Miguel in Pereira, Colombia.  They are all native Spanish speakers learning to read and write in English.

We hope you enjoy!

This summer vacation I did many things and had lots of fun. The first day of vacation was my birthday so I celebrated it by going to Boliz with my cousins. At Boliz we ice skated, bowled, and played other games. It was a lot of fun! After that I went to U.S.A to visit my dad and the rest of my family in Florida. With my dad I went to the beach, to Universal, to SeaWorld, and ate lots of hamburgers. Another thing I did was learn to scuba dive and got my scuba diver certificate. Scuba diving was fun because I was underwater swimming with all the fishes. Towards the end of vacation I came back to Colombia and stayed the last week at my aunt's farm. On the last day of vacation I was a bit sad because the vacations were over, but now summer is over and we're back in school.
Sabrina Gutierrez 8th Grade, at Liceo Taller San Miguel

MY FANTASTIC VACATIONS
(By Miguel Benítez Quintero)
On my last vacations my family and I went to Cancun in Mexico. These were a fantastic vacations.
We traveled from Medellin to Cancun. The travel was really comfortable. In Cancun we arrived to a hotel located on the beach, it was a fantastic hotel, with seven (7) restaurants and variety of foods, five (5) pools and a water park for all the family. The beach was very amazing, the sand was white, the water was warm and the weather was excellent.
In Cancun we were in the malls and in the Mayan museum, an important place where we knew about the Mayan culture.
Around Cancun we visited many important attractions; for example, to three hours from the city is Chichen Itza, the most important Mayan City, there we were walking to the Pyramid of Chichen Itza and other Mayan constructions and we were in the Mayan ball field and other interesting monuments; near from there we visited the fantastic Cenotes.
In other route, more near from Cancun, are the parks. We visited the most important and big park. It is Xcaret´s park, it is a wonderful place! We did many activities, we enjoyed much and learned more about the Mayan culture and the Mexican history and folklore. In this park, my father and I swam with stingrays.
Ten days later my family and I came back to Colombia after to live a great experience and enjoy the best vacations.

Miguel Benítez Quintero 8th Grade, at Liceo Taller San Miguel

Over my vacations I went with my family to a small village called Juanchaco, in order to see whales. Juanchaco is located almost one hour off Buenaventura’s coast. My dad, my mom and me, we took a small boat and went from Juanchaco to the ocean where we saw some ten whales. I remember that I saw a whale-mother swimming together with its baby during a couple of minutes very close to our boat. I think if I would have stretched my hands, I could have even touched the two whales. It was very exciting to be so close to these wonderful animals which come to Colombia’s Pacific Coast just once a year, between July and October.
Sarah Schmieg 7th Grade, at Liceo Taller San Miguel