Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Be the Change You Want to See-Ghandi

I know, I know. It is very over used and may sound a tad cliche, but it really is one of the greatest motivators to stop complaining and make it happen.

I am extremely opinionated. I get an idea in my mind and think that everyone else should be able to see it as clearly as I do. Usually my ideas come from wanting to make the complexities of life, simplified.

Unfortunately, my frankness comes across as complaining. Now, I think there is a clear distinction between admitting there is a problem and creating a solution verses just complaining without reason or without a solution.

The listeners just don't get it.  Or maybe they don't think its a problem.  I think anything that makes life harder is a problem and therefore should be evaluated and solved.

One problem I want to solve is the gap between children and adults, or the controllers verses the controlled.  I want to see a future where the antiquated view of a child being less intelligent than adults or unable to control themselves is a thing of the 20th century, not the 21st.

Now, the older I get the more I realize age has nothing to do with emotional and intellectual intelligence.  There are a lot of kids out there do amazing things these days.  Kid President is one of my favorites!

There are also, just as many adults doing very ignorant things---HEllo? War, fighting over really stupid things liking parking spots or property lines.  I believe I had the same fight with my brother when I was seven: "This is my side! You can't touch my side of the seat! Keep your fingers on your side!"  Same argument, amplified context.

So, I want my students to start recognizing the importance of who they are now. I want them to have an active and partnering role in the learning process.

Which is why I decided to allow them to have an open discussion forum the next few days in class about what they like and don't like about our class, things they want to improve on, what they think they should be evaluated on, how they feel in our classroom, and things they like and don't like about me. (That's a wee bit frightening).

I admit I have always complained about the voices of children being lost, but now I am going to stop, address, the problem, and start being the change I want to see.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment