Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Global Perspectives

Case in Point:  Woman Adventurer

I have never considered myself a rarity or exception to the norm.  In my mind everyone dreams of traveling the globe, saves some money, and lives the explorer's dream. I think it must come from my community of friends, especially my former Peace Corps buddies. I read about their worldly adventures online and assume its happening to us all.

I now realize how absurdly skewed my perspective has been. I am very fortunate. I am living my dream. I remember reading about Colombia in high school. When I read about the families who had lost their homes and lives from the violence of cocaine and FARC, I knew I would go there one day.

I desperately wanted to meet and talk to those people who had been affected by the violence. I also wanted to help. I didn't know how, but I knew I wanted to do something.

My journey started in Venezuela. I was able to go to Merida, which is not far from the border. I remember how much I wished I could go over to Colombia. I went with our church missions group. It was one of the best trips in my life. We mostly talked with people and helped with some of the local church's construction. 

The people were so nice, but it was one of the first times I was in a place where every area had military personal and they walked around with M-16's and AR-15's. It was a bit intimidating.

I returned to Venezuela another year, but quickly realized it was Colombia I wanted to be in. I can't explain my obsession. I only know I truly believe everything happens for a reason.

I went to college and still the desire remained. Near graduation I started the application process for the Peace Corps. I had a chance to go to an Asian region, but I chose to wait a few months. The next offer was for Ecuador! 

Again, I desperately wanted to get to Colombia, but as a volunteer at that time it wasn't allowed. Again, I moved on. A few years and jobs later I finally found my chance.

I am currently in Colombia and the longer I am here, the more mysterious the place becomes. I think I've discovered some general cultural trait, but then it shifts. It seems everything here is always shifting.

I know I have something big to discover. I don't know if it's a personal revelation, cultural revelation, or life-changing revelation. I just know that I am finally here and there is a reason behind it. I am looking forward to the rare adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment