Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Traveling in Colombia's Coffee Region

Medellin Home to a "New Cartel."

When most Americans hear the word Colombia their minds revert to images of rain forests, guerrillas, and cocaine.  Bombarded with images and violence seen on screen in movies like, Collateral Damage, Behind Enemy Lines, Clear and Present Danger, Romancing the Stone, and Miami Vice have cemented this viewpoint in any action-film, loving American.

With every story or folklore there is usually a bit of truth in history. Colombia is no exception. Throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's Cocaine and those who meddled with it, flourished. There are still remnants of the money and corruption from cartels, but having recently traveled to Medellin with my mom, those remnants seem few. Instead the "New Cartel," resembles tourism.

My mother came to Colombia a nervous wreck. She was actually scared to exit the airport. She didn't see me right away so she just waited, but I couldn't walk in from that direction. Luckily, a decent man who knew some English helped her find me. In her defense it was very late and she knows ZERO Spanish.

I had to work a few of the days she visited, so we stayed in the Coffee region. My mother loves to shop. All she wanted to know was where she could buy crafts and gifts to take home. Jewelry and clothing are her primary loves. I had only been in the country for about two months myself, which didn't make me the wisest tour guide. 

Thankfully, I have wonderful co-workers who helped me out in this endeavour. My boss took us to a beautiful restaurant called El Mirador. It sits on top of the mountain with one of the most beautiful restaurant views I've seen. Below are some photos.
Sunset View of El Mirador.
Afternoon View.

Another co-worker made my mother's dreams come true by taking us to Salento. Salento is beautiful and small. It is a pueblo specializing in hand-made crafts. My mother loved it! She bought a ton of jewelry, clothes, and anything else she deemed a necessity. She still calls me and asks if I've gone back and bought her anything.
A Chef made from metal and wire.
Salento from the top.
Mom shopping in Salento.
She definitely blends in.

After our trip to Salento we tagged along with some of the guys I work with to travel to Medellin. It was nice to travel with them because they had been before and could point us in the direction of Medellin highlights.
When traveling to Medellin I would highly recommend buying a ticket on the metro and riding it to Parque Arvi on the Cable. The view is amazing and its the best way to get a feel for the city.
On the way to Medellin.
View inside the Cable car.
View from Parque Arvi.

Medellin Furniture

Medellin Art

Medellin Architecture

Medellin Hotels


There are many reasons to travel to Colombia. Adventure, food, people, and making memories. I'm so thankful my mom braved the trip and came to see me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment