Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lessons from Colombian Kids

Ganar v. To Earn

I teach 6th and 7th grade English at a private school in Colombia.  There are many differences in our interpretations of what something means and how to translate it.  One of those, is the verb; Ganar. Which, in English translates as to win, earn.  They use one verb for our two. Now, with my Hoosier (Indiana born), culture the verbs, to win and to earn have two completely different meanings.



When I think of winning something, I don't associate any work going into it.  I think, WOW!, I won something. I feel so lucky and ecstatic that the "Odds Were Ever in My Favor," like the announcer's blessing in The Hunger Games. This feeling associated with winning something is like saying, God and the heavens have noticed my plight and decided to give me my own personal Passover. 
Best Seller and Awesome Movie!

I was active in the winning, because I either filled out some sort of form or participated in someway to be involved in the win, but I didn't toil and sweat to "earn it." 

On the other hand, when I earn something there is the feeling of my blood, sweat, and tears going into the achievement. I know the hours of studying, training, and passion I put into it and because I did my very best, I earned what I achieved.  It wasn't luck or chance that made the achievement, it was pure effort and passion.

When I think of how hard I have worked on a project or studied for an exam, I never consider winning as part of it.  My children on the other hand see the two as one. There is no difference. This doesn't just affect the mixed up translation, like when they say, "Teacher! I am winning the class because I won my note!"  It affects their ability to separate their effort from the "gift" or "win," that I supposedly helped give them.  Then when they ask me, "Teacher, why am I losing the class?" I try to explain to them it has nothing to do with me being fair or unfair, it's how much effort you have put into the class.

Translations and attempting to equivocate meaning and significance can cause complicated communication misunderstandings, arising from diverse cultural perspectives. 

My American perspective has taught me, homework, grades, and my future are a result of what I've earned. My rewards are better and brighter future, but is it really this simple?  I don't believe it is. By being born where I was, I had certain advantages and disadvantages in the journey of what I earned.  So, every time I had an unlimited choice of reading material, was that a part of what I'd earned? Or, by divine placement did I win a spot in the lottery of life, giving me extra help?

So, perhaps the Spanish language allows the speaker to pay diligent respect to the balance of winning and earning. Maybe my students have realized something I haven't, maybe they know that in life it takes a little bit of winning and earning to make the goal.

I guess the way I can best sum it up is through the lives of amazing people who have come before us.  In almost every biography I have read, the person accounts their success to passion and a wee bit of luck.  They usually describe it as, "that one breakthrough," or "the break I needed."  A bit of the "right time and right place," magic to make the struggle cease and the destiny begin.
So, with lots of sweat and a little bit of luck, I wish you success!



No comments:

Post a Comment